Thursday, March 13, 2008

I've Joined the Crusades!!

Carving Stamps and Making our Own Tools!!

Michelle Ward's Art Crusades that is!! I have been lurking around Michelle's Green Pepper Street Team for a long time and I have wanted to join in, but just never got up the nerve. What's up with that???? Not sure!! I have so admired Michelle's work ever since I discovered the book True Colors. She has such a wonderful spirit for art, life and people that she is very hard to resist!! Wonderful Monica has been after me for awhile to take the plunge. It just so happened that the last time that I cruised by the GPP site I noticed that the new crusade was all about carving one's own stamps!! i love to carve stamps and I have been trying to put aside some time to make some new ones. Synchronisity or what???? I'd say yes, most definately!!


Here you will see some stamps that I carved about a year ago. Some of them I even went so far as to mount on wood blocks. I don't do that anymore as it makes them harder to clean. I really like to use unmounted stamps as I use alot of paint with my stamps and I plunk them into a bucket of soapy water right after use and that is not good for the wood mounts.


I carved the two Goddess stamps for a specific project and learned the hard way that if you leave a sheet of carving rubber bent in any way, it will Crack and break along the bend, however slight!! Moral of this story:: Do not leave the rubber in any other manner than Flat!!!! Of these stamps the one that I use the most is the swirl (in the center of this picture). This is only a small sample of the stamps that I have carved.
The goodess was made for a Goddess Tip In Swap. For those that might not know what a Tip In is: A tip in is a page of a specific size that can be added to a book (tipped into a book) or put together with other similar sized pages to create a signature.


As many of you know by now, I must have beads and texture in all of my work! I spent quite a bit of time on each spread adding beads (stitched on) and the texture was created by adding layers of painted paper towel to the page before I stamped the Tree Goddess with Staz-On Ink.

This next stamp is the first stamp that my daughter (at age 9), drew and then carved. She has made some wonderful collages using this image as the focal point. I must have her make one for me- she has given all of the others as gifts!!


I just love this little guy!!

I did say taht I had been itching to carve some new stamps when I read about the latest crusade. Well, here they are. I have several more drawn out on the rubber and I intend to carve them as soon as I finish up some swaps that are due!!

I really want to thank Michelle for giving me just the kick that I needed at just the time that I needed it!!!! Michelle you rock!!!

24 comments:

michelle ward said...

Elizabeth - happy to learn this Crusade got you motivated to come join in the fun. Thanks for sharing all these terrific iamges with the Team. Those goddesses took alot of concentration - just fab. Ooooh and we love those swirls. The bird done by your daughter is awesome - age 9? No way! Welcome to the Team, high five for squashing the nerves.

artisbliss said...

Have you ever considered having your stamps commercially reproduced and selling them? I'd buy them, for one. They're really wonderful.

Julie Prichard said...

WOW these are really great images! I love all of them and also the idea of adding beads to your pages!

Pocket Size said...

Those really are beautiful stamps. I can see why you use the swirl so much, it looks fabulous! And I'm impressed by the one your daughter carved. Great stuff!

Belle2create said...

Hi Elizabeth
welcome Crusader!! So HAPPY you found the guts to participate because your stamps are so BEAUTIFULL... That goddes, the bird, the swirl... Your daugther has inherated your carving genetics. ThanX for sharing, i will be coming back what kind of awesome stamps & art you made!!
Hedwig

Jeane Frizzell said...

Wow! Your detail is amazing! Nice job.

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Elizabeth-my very most favorite thing in the world is to carve! I love your carvings!!! It is addicting!
chris p

Ro Bruhn said...

Fabulous Stamps, I love the goddess ones, lovely fine details. Thanks for sharing

Ursula Clamer said...

These stamps are really amazing and so is your godess page, lovely and colourful. Your daughter's stamp is also amazing and it's great that she uses it a lot.

moi said...

fabulous work. look at all that deliciousness. that goddess stamp must have taken a while. great stuff.

Jacky said...

Elizabeth your stamps are FANTASTIC! I am in awe... love the new bird and the swirl (and yes, would buy some if you got them done commercially too).
I recently bought some rubber and lino cutting tools to have a go and since seeing the new crusade I am tempted to have a go too!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment - your such a sweetie.

JBMolina said...

Huge talent runs in your family! Your daughter's stamp is seriously impressive!~

carin.c said...

I'm new to doing stamps and am SO VERY impressed with what both you and your daughter have done! VERY INSPIRING! And I agree - better not to mount on wood because I'm realizing they are much harder to clean... I like being able to run them under soap and water.

Commuter's Journal said...

I think we can all be grateful to Michelle for inspiring you because it gave the rest of a chance to see your wonderful stamps. These are really great! Don't you love it when serendipitous things happen?
-- JeriAnn

Kim Tedrow said...

These are such accomplished carvings, you are really skilled. Thanks for sharing these, I love the bird your daughter did. -Kim

Anonymous said...

Great stamps... You put a lot of work into the tree goddess stamps. I love them.

Julie said...

Elizabeth, this is only my second crusade and I am having a ball! Your stamps are fabulous, the goddesses are truly amazing! I found Michelle myself after getting 'True Colors' as a xmas pressie...its been the best thing I have done this year.

Thanks for taking the plunge and showing us your stamps they are brilliant!

Belinda said...

oh my gosh, these are fabulous srmpa. i love carving my own.

Kat W said...

Your cared stamps are all great, the swirls being my favorites! I like your colorful goddess pages! Your daughter did a wonderful job on her stamp, as well! :)

Unknown said...

I am so glad you "jumped right in" with the crusades at Michelles Green Pepper Press! You have a lot to share! I love your peace sign goddess and your daughters ducky.
It is funny how the universe works some times isn't it? With you wanting to set aside time for carving and all...then discovering the #18 crusade...

Have a great hair day! Becci

Anonymous said...

All of your stamps are wonderful. The goddess images are amazing and so unique. Love the one your daughter created...too cool.

Pat said...

I love your stamps, I have not tried this yet, but your goddesses are fabulous. Maybe you could send me an image to include in one of my collages. Pat Mattison

DIANE said...

I'm so glad you joined in the crusade this month. It would have been terrible not to have seen your fabulous stamps. They are ALL so AMAZING! Thanks for sharing.

Tammie Lee said...

Your stamps are wonderful. I am just getting inspired to make my first for a valentine card. Thank you for your inspiration.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails