Wednesday, November 18, 2009

An Amazing Gift


I wish that I could say that I had taken this picture, but I DID not! This is what I saw flying directly at, and slightly above, the windshield of my minivan yesterday morning as I drove along the back roads of Virginia!!! We were in Stafford Conty on our way to Dulles Airport ( going the "back way", I will do just about anything to avoid driving on I-95 ) to get my Mom to her plane home after a lovely visit with her grandchildren and granddoggies. It was about 8 am and I noticed,, out of the corner of my eye some movement ahead on the left of the car. Then some Turkey Buzzards took to the air and I figured that there was probably a dead animal off to the side of the road. As soon as this registered, I saw a huge bird flying right at my car. He had a beautiful white head and a golden yellow beek and he was looking right at me. It was a Bald Eagle!! The first that I have ever seen in the wild. What a thrill.!!!! What an incredibly beautiful bird!!! I did have my camera with me, as always, but I could hardly take a picture as I was driving.!! Instantly he adjusted his flight path and sailed up and over the top of the van and I was left almost hyperventilating with excitement.
Recently I had heard that there were several hundred Bald Eagle Nests counted along the Chesapeake Bay from Maryland to Virginia and down to North Carolina. I can remember a time, not long ago, when we were not sure whether we could bring the Bald Eagle back form the brink of extinction. Seeing this magnificant bird living and thriving in my rural, suburban part of Virginia gives me incredible hope that we can indeed help our planet recover form the ravages that we humans have subjected it to!!
Please take this opportunity to call your Congress People and Senators and implore them to support the Energy Bill that will soon be coming to the floor in Congress. This is not a partisan issue it is a PLANET ISSUE!!!

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

What a wonderful site for you to see. I went on the Vanishing Texas River Cruise and saw 13 bald eagles and it was amazing. Also here on the Texas coast the brown pelican has made a come back as we almost lost them. Thank you for your post. More people need to be aware and concerned.

Jacky said...

Isnt it wonderful to experience animals/birdlife in the wild. Thanks for sharing this humbling experience with us all. What a magnificent bird and so pleased that they are breeding so well.

Jacky xox

druga szesnascie said...

hi, Elizabeth.
I couldn't find your e-mail address so I thought I'll just leave a note here.
I saw your comment on Creative Solace and I thought I also have quite a lot of napkins (I'll never use them all)I use in my art and I thought that maybe you'd like to swap with me.
let me know if you're interested.
c_queen@o2.pl
eliza

p.s. I'm so glad I discovered your blog. lovely work!

Beena said...

A very encouraging experience! Thanks for the inspiration, for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails