Thursday, November 12, 2009

Old Paper Treasured Here !!

It is treasured and sold at Whitings Old Paper in Hanover Virginia, to be exact!! I am not affiliated with this wonderful business but I have just returned from a fabulous day of exploring the stacks and drawers of this wonderful treasure trove of Paper Ephemera!!! I had first become aware of Mr. Whiting and his awesome collection, at Art and Soul Vendors Night in Hampton Va, when I attended the artists conference three years ago. Now I have actually been to the shop itself. The expereince was all that I might have expected and so much more. The reason for the trip at this time was the annual shop wide sale. Everything was from 20-50% off!! ( The Sale continues thru November 16!!) I also had an experienced Treasure shopper who knew her way around this part of rural VA, to serve as a guide. We had planned on an hour and a half at this location but as I wandered around in a daze taking it all in, we extended our stay for an additional hour. Even then it was extrememly difficult to leave.
Mr. Whiting was extremely helpful, welcoming and informative. I would have enjoyed staying to have a longer more leisurely chat and I feel that I have made a new friend in the world of collecting and treasuring all things old. I will be returning to this wonderful Antique destination and bringing others with me, of that I am sure. Along with all of the old paper ephemera from the 1800's-1980, there is a wonderful antique mall boasting all sorts of wonderful finds. I did manage to get quite a bit of Christmas shopping done for several of the very hard to buy for people on my list! BONUS!!!

Here are some of the treasures that I came across! The majority of these pieces sold for 1-2$ with the small snapshots going for as low as 25 cents.


I am always on the look out for old snaps of children and I was thrilled to find these adorable shots!

I tried to take some pictures of the shop to share with you but it is hard to get good pictures to give a good idea of the amazing scope of Mr. Whitings collection!!! There are boxes everywhere labeled with all sorts of categories and a whole room full of sorted old magazines . There are bureaus and type drawers filled to over flowing and boxes and boxes everywhere of old Cabinet Cards and snapshots. Truely amazing and overwhelming. !

If you are ver driving south on I 95 thru southern VA (just North Of Richmond) be sure to stop by and check out Hanover and Whitings Old Paper!


Before you leave my blog be sure to stop by here and leave a comment to be entered in my Giveaway to commemorate my 350th post!!!

7 comments:

Bel said...

What an amazing shop, no wonder you loved it. I have been to 2 shops like this but one is 2 1/2 hours and the other is 4 1/2 hours away from where I live. I really must keep looking around for one closer.

Dotti said...

What a delightful treasure of photos and pictures and papers. I couldn't bear to use these originals...I do believe I would fire up the scanner!

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh! I'd better bring my credit card if I head there. It looks like you found some goodies!
Diane

Jacky said...

What a fabulous shop!!! You must have been in there for hours.
We have a similar shop in Melbourne, Abracardabra...totally amazing shop and you can sift through ephemera for hours and hours without moving very far. You need days!!!

Enjoy your new "finds".

Jacky xox

Deborah said...

What a great place! Wonderful finds!

Leslie Brier, Brier Design Studio said...

You're going to have to go again, and take Janet and me along. It looks wonderful!

Trina Lucido said...

OH MY GOSH! I don't think I can wait til Spring ... this looks like MY KIND OF PLACE! Let's put in on our calendar for January! So good to see you today. And BTW ... absolutely love your blog banner photo ... I wouldn't change a thing :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails