Monday, April 26, 2010

New Flower Brooches, Tulips and Tassels

I have a very busy week ahead so I thought that I would share a quick smattering of things that I am working on finishing. First Friday Gallery Events are fast approaching and I am aiming to get new stock down to the Emporium at Liberty Town. It will also be the opening of the Annual Patron's Show for Liberty Town. ( I will have more info on this fun event in my next post.) These wool and cashmere posey pins need a few finishing touches, some stamens and pin backs and they will be ready for sale.
I am making a new batch of Muse Birds with my fabric/paper as these have sold very well for me and I have no stock left. I am changing the design of both the birds and the tassels as I have a very ahrd time making large multiples of anything- BORING!!!!!!!
Here I have made a large holed foiled fabric/paper bead and used it as my new tassel topper for my new birds. These colorful tassels will hang from the bottom of each of my birds and will provide lots of extra movement and color to each soaring bird.
THe question of the day: Do Tulip Poplar Trees really have tulips??? When we moved here to Virginia it was January. I loved the big trees but I had no idea what kind of trees they were. Spring arrived and I was busy getting everyone and everything settled in. Becca, then 9, was spending lots of time outside with her friends playing. When I asked what they were doing the answer was 'Making fairy houses and gardens with the octopus flowers." What the heck were octopus flowers??? Tulip Tree Tulips of course!! Well I had never seen them before. Once the trees start blooming , the blossoms start falling and the sap starts dripping. When standing under the leafy cover you might think that it was raining. Well, it is raining, raining tree sap! They really are quite pretty. Each of the stamens will in time become a seed for a new tree, hence lots of seedling pulling for me next season. I am in a constant state of awe and wonder at the magnificence of our natural world, especailly at this magical time of year!!

Got to run. You have all had your horticultural lesson for the day! Hope that I don't bore you all too much! Go on and create something wonderful wtih your day!!!!

5 comments:

jewelrygirl said...

Love the flowers Elizabeth.

Caterina Giglio said...

thanks for the lesson! it is new to me!! your flowers are delightful!!

Unknown said...

Is the sap sticky from the trees??? Octopus flowers TEE HEE

Anonymous said...

I'm in love with the tassels, Elizabeth!!!
Diane

Trina Lucido said...

My gosh you've been a busy gal! The flower pins are adorable! Good luck with all your projects!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails