Thursday, June 23, 2011

Finishing Up and Starting Again!!!!!

Since my last post I ahve been working on another cuff, this time for SALE!!!! Later today I will be re-launching my new Etsy shop , Elizabeth Creates Art and this cuff will be the first item posted. I call this piece Ocean Spirits and I plan on making this the first of a series of Ocean Cuffs.

This cuff is a bit more slender than my usual size. It is 1 and 3/8 inches wide. I have tucked in all sorts of treasures including this little perfect piece of green sea glass. there are also vintage hand cut crystal beads, African Recycled glass beads, lots of Fresh water pearls and a wonderful bit of textured purple Quahog shell.
I am getting much quicker with my bead stitching and hope to ahve many other color ways available soon!!
So this is one of my latest finished projects.
Now for a new project, at the very beginnings.
This will be the back ground for a collae that is still floating around in my head. I ahve begun to make sketches and I am almost ready to begin cutting and stitching. I used a large piece of damask linen from an old table cloth that I rescued , painted it with Seta Color fabric paints and tossed on a large handful of Kosher salt. Here you can see the salt working it's amgic and drying on my deck.
I have also put the finishing touches on my Poppies Quilt. As I mentioned in a previous post, this quilt began it's life in a fabulous class taught by Laura Washilowski. I did some Free motion quilting and added some more hand stitching and backed the piece witha beautiful piece of batik fabric. I edged it with a rolled binding and hand stitched the edge with hand dyed perle cotton.
Here is a detail shot so you can see some of the background quilting. I added several rows of stitching around each blossom to give them a ruffling effect. You all know how I love adding layers of texture!!!
As a parting note I want to share an image of my wonderful hydrangea's. I have been cutting large bouquets of blossoms and sharing them with friends and bringing them inside. Every time I cut a blossom, the plants put out new, fresh blooms. In case anyone is interested, these hydrangeas are called Endless Summer. If you have a semi shady spot out of strong western sun, PLANT SOME!!!
Now I have some new projects of finish up and have no doubt, new ones to begin!!!
Happy Creating everyone!!!!

22 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

Things are really humming along with you E! Congrats on re-opening the Etsy shop...I Predict that ocean cuff is going be shipped off to some lucky person real soon! Can I put in my plug for sunprint fabrics???? I would love that!

I know what you mean about the hydrangeas...they're like the plant that keeps on giving this year! And the bouquets last SOOO long too! It's fabulous...

Love the looks of your new project...and I LOVE the idea of just tossing salt out my kitchen door onto the fabric drying in the sun outside. You're such an amazingly well-rounded artist! Way to live your life beautifully! xo Susan

Gerrie said...

Such gorgeous stuff!! Love the poppies.

Krista/Ruca said...

That cuff looks beautiful! I think a collar like this for a much loved dog would look fabulous too! The colours and textures are yummy.

Tchao-wow,
Ruca in Portugal

Caterina Giglio said...

oooh pretty and your header is killer!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, fantastic work coming from your creative spirit, you are overflowing with juiciness. xox Corrine

Vicki W said...

It's absolutely beautiful!

Createology said...

This ocean spirits cuff is a true art piece of beauty. Congratulations on reopening your etsy shop. Happy selling...

Anonymous said...

new follower here... I was wondering if the salt treatment worked on fabric. I used to use that for watercolor painting.

I can't wait to see all that you create. Love the cuff!

PeggyR said...

WOW the bracelet is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

The beaded cuff is absolutely fabulous - everywhere you look there's something else wonderful to catch the eye and the salt sprinkled fabric is wonderful, like delicate seaweed floating around in a rockpool. Looking forward to seeing what it's going to become!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Love the cuff!

Peggy Beck said...

Your cuff is stunning and I will check out the Etsy shop. Your quilt is also stunning and you have been very busy. Nice to see.

mariasangel said...

what an amazing post! congrats on getting back to your etsy shop...i need to do that too...lol...the cuff is beautiful! i am completely in love with the poppy quilt!! AMAZING job! and of course, the Endless Summer's are my favorite! if my relationship hadn't blown up in my face and i was actually stay in this house, i would have planted them this year--oh well--maybe somewhere else ;)

mariasangel said...

oh--and i just noticed you have my in your blog roll!! how awesome!! thank you!! I'm honored!!

Pretty Things said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I SO can't do things like this but wish I could.

KayzKreationz said...

Gorgeous cuff. And I love the quilt. Congrats on re-opening your shop.

Valerie said...

Elizabeth, thank you for visiting my blog and commenting! You are very talented and I've enjoyed looking at your beautiful creations. Your latest cuff is amazing! I'm jealous of your hydrangeas! I planted one two years ago and haven't had any blooms
:(

suziqu's thread works said...

Dear Elizabeth, Your beaded cuff is absolutely gorgeous. I really wish you so much luck with your Etsy shop!
Your Poppies quilt is also just gorgeous - You are full of so much talent! I am so happy to have inspired you to start with making some cards also.
Wishing you all the very best dear friend. You are a winner!
Big hugs,
Suzy

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

Too cool! Really amazing piece, E. Good luck on Etsy, I will pop by ... must get some more of your yummy dyed textiles!

Gloria said...

Just discovered your site and oooooh am I in love. So many beautiful things and so many ideas.
Gloria from Roanoke

Unknown said...

OMG the bead work!! My eyes about popped out of my head!! You just be having so much fun!!! We too are haivng so much fun with the new shop and now that is is set and going ( open 6 weeks ) I can get back to a regular schedule and life !!! we are Loving our new home of Bisbee !!!

Unknown said...

OMG the bead work!! My eyes about popped out of my head!! You just be having so much fun!!! We too are haivng so much fun with the new shop and now that is is set and going ( open 6 weeks ) I can get back to a regular schedule and life !!! we are Loving our new home of Bisbee !!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails