Thursday, October 4, 2007

Fabric Paper

Fabric paper is created using paper that is sealed or glued to muslin fabric. This collaging to fabric gives the paper wonderful strength and allows you to do so much with the endproduct. You can sew with it and make all sorts of things with it as if it were just fabric. It is very messy and tons of fun!!! The artist Beryl Taylor has made this technique very popular and she highlights it's many uses in her book and in her many articles in the magazine Cloth, Paper ,Scissors.

This piece was made by collaging torn bits of an old White pages phone book directly to the muslin. Then I paint scraped and overstamped with Staz-On ink once the paint was dry.

For this piece I stamped directly on the muslin using text stamps, a bee stamp and some chinese writing stamps. Then I collaged painted paper towel over the stamped images. Not much of the stamping shows thru- this technique will need a bit more work as I want to see evidence of stamping but not clear images .

THese next two pieces are simply painted paper twoels collaged to muslin. I love the colors with small areas of metallics. Not sure what these will become but you will see them in the near future!

1 comment:

Needleroozer said...

Elizabeth,
These are just beautiful! I love the first stamped one, and the last colorful one the best!
I think I am going to do more of these this weekend, using printed paper napkins- you have inspired me!
LB

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails