Thursday, June 24, 2010

Learning from the Birds


I have just finished one f the pieces taht i will be submitting to an upcoming show at Liberty Town in Fredericksburg. The title of the show is "Birds and Words". The working title of this piece is Cardinals Caring, but I am not sure that I like it all that much. That aside, this is a stand alone or "Off the Wall" Art quilt. I first explored this idea in a wonderful class with the wonderful fiber artist and dear friend Laura Cater-Woods . (If you ever have the opportunity to take a class with her, DO IT!!!)
Anyway, the piece revolves around my own photo of a father cardinal opening a seed and feeding it to his fledgling daughter. I did a transfer of the photo onto Lutradur and then created the fabric and fibers collage around them.

I used some of m fabric paper, a found black walnut shell that a squirrel had opened, leaving the shape of the heart: a found cardinal feather, some frayed threads from hand dyed fabrics, seed beads, vintage lace bits, cherry twigs, a dried Day Lily pod and some hand dyed cheese cloth. The background fabric is some of my own hand dyed linen.



I gathered the forked cherry sapplings form the yard(we have some bird planted Choke Cherry saplings that need to be reined in on a regular basis) and my DH helped me create a stand for the piece using a found piece of driftwood, some drilled holes, some glue and the trimmed twigs.


There are supposed to be some words that inspired the work traveling along with the piece, at this point I think that I will write my own!!
the show runs from the First Friday in July thru August till the first Friday in September. I am expecting that there will be a wonderful selection of marvelous pieces on display and all for sale! So make a point to come by and see what has been created!!!!



10 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

would love to come by of course!! good luck and your piece is so textural and chewy! love all the lace going on and the little heart dangling is just how I feel about the birds! xx's

Laurence said...

Very beautiful !

Mosaic Magpie said...

A beautiful piece and I like how you used your own photograph to inspire it.
Debbie

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

What a collection of interesting objects to add to your wonderful photo! Love the idea of mounting the piece with driftwood and twigs. Well done!

Lisa said...

lovely concept Elizabeth! I like the musical notes and the natural elements that you've brought into this piece.. and your little handstitched "birdseed" beads. What a lovely photograph to work with too! My favorite element is the interesting way you've mounted this piece on the sapling twigs... I think many a bird lover would cherish this piece!

Dotti said...

This piece is very dramatic and so eye catching Elizabeth. Did you use a digital ground on the lutradur before printing...there's such a clarity on the print!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Won't it be fun to see what everyone has created, both the art and the accompanying verbiage!

I can't wait to see this piece in person. I loved hearing about the process of its creation.

Patti G. said...

Just amazing Elizabeth! LOVE all of it, every little detail, fiber, bead, lace, feather, nut, image! Just glorious. Your mounting frame of twigs and wood is awesome, fits the piece perfectly!!!!!!!!
Hugs,Patti

Yvonne said...

Love it! Lots to look at and enjoy in this piece. Birds and words...2 of my favorite things.

JW said...

As an avid bird lover, I really enjoy this mixed media piece. I enjoy EVERYTHING about your composition and what fun bits of materials you've chosen to reinforce the theme. Natural twig framing sealed the deal for me. Wowsers! You are a prolific, awesome artist I've admired for some time. Judy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails